If you cannot pay by credit card online and require an invoice - please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
In this introductory course, specially tailored for the New Zealand workplace, you will learn the basics of Chinese language and culture. You will gain a greater understanding of conducting business with China, including receiving Chinese visitors, visiting China, and business communications with Chinese.
You will have the opportunity to sit the HSK (Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi) standard Chinese language test, Level 1, at the end of the course. Test is optional and involves a small fee that is not included in the course fee.
Printed course materials will be provided.
This course will benefit anyone who is involved with China or Chinese in the work context.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Master Chinese Language pronunciation, including the recognition and writing of Pinyin, four tones;
- Use the oral communication, including greeting, self-introduction and asking questions;
- Understand basic differences between Chinese Language and English;
- Gain a better understanding of Chinese culture and society as it relates to professional interactions;
- Learn elements and constructions of Chinese characters and become capable of writing 20-50 Chinese characters.
- Learn HSK 1 vocabulary as request
Session 1: Introduction of Chinese Language
- Different forms of greetings
Session 2: Greeting and Introduction
- Ask and give personal information
- Chinese Name Culture
- Learn nationalities and names of countries
Session 3: Job related topics
- Tailored to student's needs
Session 4: Etiquette and Small Talk
- Toasting, cultural differences
Session 5: Numbers and Date
- Understand days of the week & months of the year
- Understand numbers up to 100
Session 6: Daily routine
- Understand and explain a basic itinerary
Session 7: Directions and Transportation
- Speak about locations in a city
- Different transportation
Session 8: Shopping
- Price and online shopping
Learning activities focus on listening, speaking, reading and writing. To reinforce your learning homework is encouraged. There is no formal assessment.
There is a short break half-way through each session, and tea, coffee and a light snack are provided.
This course is limited to a maximum of 20 participants, so please enrol early.
Guo Fang is a native Chinese Speaker and a certified Chinese language instructor. She has a Master degree of Arts in Chinese philology from Tsinghua University, China. She has taught Chinese as a second language at Xiamen University, China for more than four years with another three year’s overseas teaching experience at the University of Delaware, United States and the London School of Economics, United Kingdom. She is specialises in Business Chinese and extracurricular Chinese courses.
"The immersive style of teaching was perfect for the course - it got everyone outside their comfort zone and actually using the language which was awesome and exactly what I was hoping for.", Workplace Chinese (2019)
"The introduction to Chinese culture was a very good idea as it helped us understand the language better.", Workplace Chinese (2019)
School of Languages and Cultures
Language Learning Centre
For further information:
Continuing Education, Victoria University of Wellington, PO Box 600, Wellington 6140.
Phone 04 463 6556, Email: email@example.com
Please note: Courses need a minimum number of enrolments to go ahead. If your course doesn’t reach the number required, we’ll have to cancel it. If this happens, we’ll contact you by phone or email about a week before the scheduled start date and arrange a full refund. Please check your emails regularly.